World

Biden admits Israel killed civilians with US bombs — RT World News

The US President said that the munitions were used against population centers

US President Joe Biden admitted in an interview with CNN on Wednesday that civilians were killed by American-made bombs during the war launched by Israel against Hamas in Gaza.

The US President warned that Washington would stop bomb shipments to West Jerusalem – its main ally in the Middle East – if Israel expands its attack on the city of Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip.

“Civilians have been killed in Gaza as a result of these bombs and other ways they target population centres.” Biden Tell News channel. The United States had previously halted a shipment of more than 2,000 pounds (900 kg) of bombs scheduled for Israel amid concerns that larger munitions would be used in Rafah's overcrowded conditions.

“We will not supply weapons and artillery shells.” The American President said in reference to them “The weapons that were used historically to deal with Rafah, to deal with the cities.”

The IDF and its methods have already faced increasing scrutiny as the military operation in overcrowded Gaza enters its seventh month. According to the United Nations EstimatesThe enclave's population was just over 2.2 million people before the conflict began. About 1.4 million displaced Palestinians are taking refuge in the small city of Rafah, a densely populated area that will suffer heavy loss of life as a result of the use of these bombs.

The Israeli military has already used 2,000-pound MK-84 bombs in raids on Jabalia and around the Shati refugee camp last year, according to a military source. investigation By The New York Times in December. The use of heavy bombs has added to the growing death toll in Gaza, which is approaching 35,000, according to local health authorities.

The United States began an investigation several months ago into whether Israel violated international humanitarian law in its war in Gaza. The report came suddenly delay After Israel launched its “limited” incursion into Rafah, which is now expected in the coming weeks.


Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button