World

Father of aid worker slain by IDF in Gaza urges US to suspend aid to Israel — RT World News

Seven foreign nationals were killed in a series of drone strikes on a humanitarian convoy carrying food supplies in the Palestinian enclave.

John Flickinger, the father of a humanitarian worker killed in an Israeli drone strike, said the United States should pressure Israel to change its approach in its Gaza campaign against the Palestinian militant group Hamas.

The grieving father explained to the Associated Press his phone conversation with US Secretary of State Antony Blinken, who called him on Saturday to offer his condolences over the death of his son Jacob.

The 33-year-old humanitarian worker, a dual US-Canadian citizen, was killed on April 1 along with six other foreign aid workers when their convoy with the aid group World Central Kitchen (WCK) came under repeated drone attacks by the Israel Defense Forces ( the Israeli Defense Army).

He added: “If the United States had threatened to suspend aid to Israel, my son might be alive today.” John Flickinger told the news agency on Sunday. He added: “I hope that this is the last straw, and that the United States will suspend aid and take meaningful measures to promote change in the way Israel is managing this war.” he added.

The attack on the humanitarian convoy sparked an international uproar, forcing Israel to admit that the officers behind it had flagrantly violated the rules of engagement. Israeli officials described the deadly attack as an attack “mistake,” With two IDF personnel expelled and three others reprimanded. Military authorities claimed that they mishandled critical intelligence information and failed to properly identify the target before carrying out the strike.

“It's a tragedy” Israeli army spokesman Daniel Hagari told reporters. “It is a serious event that we are responsible for, and it should not have happened. We will make sure it does not happen again.”

More than 200 humanitarian workers and dozens of journalists have lost their lives amid the ongoing Israeli operation in Gaza, sparked by a deadly Hamas raid on southern Israel last October. This attack led to the deaths of about 1,200 people in Israel, while more than 200 were taken hostage.

Since then, more than 33,000 Palestinians have been killed during Israeli operations in Gaza, according to local health authorities. The enclave was subjected to violent artillery shelling and aerial bombardment, which led to widespread destruction.

You can share this story on social media:


Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button