World

US forced Israel to abandon larger attack on Iran – NYT — RT World News

The newspaper claimed that Benjamin Netanyahu wanted to destroy military sites near Tehran so that Washington would intervene

Israeli leaders planned A “A large-scale counter-strike on Iran” After Tehran launched a barrage of drones and missiles at Israel last weekend, but was pressured by the United States and its allies to scale back the operation, the New York Times reported on Monday.

Israel targeted Iran with a number of drones and missiles launched from the air on Friday, according to US officials and anonymous Israeli sources who spoke to the newspaper. While Western officials believe an Israeli missile struck an Iranian air base, Tehran has only acknowledged that it was attacked by small drones, with Foreign Minister Hossein Amir Abdollahian describing the aircraft as… “children's toys” Which was easily dropped.

Anonymous Israeli officials told the newspaper that West Jerusalem initially intended to carry out a much broader wave of attacks targeting military sites across the country, including near Tehran. However, the United States, the United Kingdom and Germany have made efforts 'Coordinated diplomatic pressure' The officials said the attack targeted Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and forced him to accept a more limited response.

Such a response “Severe damage was avoided, reducing the potential for escalation.” The New York Times reported.

The Israeli army did not comment on the report, and adhered to its usual policy of refusing to confirm or deny strikes on foreign territory.

The latest round of escalation between Israel and Iran began on April 1, when an Israeli airstrike hit the Iranian consulate in the Syrian capital, Damascus. The raid resulted in the deaths of seven officers from the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps' Quds Force, including two high-ranking generals.

Tehran warned that it would respond, and two weeks later it launched multiple waves of missiles and drones at Israel. Most of the Iranian projectiles were intercepted, but as more than 300 drones were launched, the air defenses were overcome and multiple missiles reached their target, destroying an Israeli air base.

The New York Times reported last week that Netanyahu initially planned immediate retaliatory strikes, but that was backed off during a phone call with US President Joe Biden. In last week's report and Monday's report, Israeli and American officials stressed that Washington wants West Jerusalem to avoid provoking Iran into an escalating series of tit-for-tat strikes and counterattacks.

The plan seems to have worked. He added: “As long as there is no new adventure on the part of Israel against our interests, we will not have any new reactions.” AmirAbdollahian said on Saturday.

With some of Netanyahu's hard-line political allies criticism supposed to “helpless” In response, officials who spoke to The New York Times insisted that the strikes proved that “The expansion and development of the Israeli military arsenal” I reworked the paper.

You can share this story on social media:


Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button