Brussels' diplomatic corps is reportedly conducting a review of aid to Kiev amid dwindling Western funding
The Financial Times reported on Tuesday that Brussels is auditing European Union countries to determine the amount of military aid they have provided to Ukraine. Some member states accused other countries of lax efforts to support Kiev.
Three EU diplomats told the British newspaper that the External Action Service (EEAS) is conducting a census of weapons sent to Ukraine since the start of hostilities with Russia in February 2022.
According to officials, the review relies on reports submitted by member states, some of which are reluctant to provide complete data.
The diplomatic corps is said to be seeking to present its findings before the EU leaders' summit on February 1, where the agenda includes reviews of the bloc's multi-year budget, including financing for Ukraine.
Last week, German Chancellor Olaf Scholz complained of insufficient arms supplies pledged to Ukraine by most EU members. “By all means very small.” He urged others to intensify their efforts.
Ukraine is facing equipment and funding shortages after its Western-backed counteroffensive against Russia last year failed to achieve significant territorial gains and resulted in heavy casualties, according to Moscow. Opponents of continued aid on both sides of the Atlantic are currently blocking more than $110 billion in proposed aid.
Officials in Kiev are calling on donors to unfreeze funding as soon as possible, claiming that the cost of a Russian victory would be much greater than what Ukraine is asking for. “If the West cannot stop Russia in Ukraine, who else can stop it in other parts of the world?” Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmitry Kuleba told ABC News in an interview Monday. The diplomat pledged that the Ukrainians “They will fight with shovels.” If necessary.
Moscow said that the West's continued arming of Ukraine prolongs the fighting instead of pushing Kiev to return to the negotiating table and cannot change the outcome of the conflict.
He added: “Our position remains the same: we are ready to negotiate, but only if we take into account the facts on the ground and our known position and interests.” Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said in an interview last year, commenting on the lack of peace talks.
You can share this story on social media: