Apple is expected to unveil the iPhone 15 lineup in September. As usual, the Pro models are expected to pack a wide range of new features, including the A17 Bionic chip, titanium frame, faster USB-C port, and more.
Below, we’ve rounded up 12 new features and changes rumored to be coming to the iPhone 15 Pro models.
- A17 chip: iPhone 15 Pro models are expected to be equipped with Apple’s next-generation A17 Bionic chip, which is built on TSMC’s 3nm process to further improve performance and efficiency. The standard iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus are expected to feature the A16 Bionic chip.
- Titanium frame: Like the Apple Watch Ultra, the iPhone 15 Pro models are expected to have a titanium frame instead of stainless steel.
- Ultra thin bezels: Similar to recent Apple Watch models, the iPhone 15 Pro is rumored to have ultra-thin curved edges around the screen.
- Faster USB-C port: The iPhone 15 Pro models will have a USB-C port with at least USB 3.2 or Thunderbolt 3 support, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, which should lead to the devices having much faster data transfer speeds with a cable than current iPhones with Lightning. Kuo said the USB-C port on standard iPhone 15 models will still be limited to USB 2.0 speeds like Lightning.
- Wi-Fi 6E: Like the latest Mac and iPad Pro devices, the iPhone 15 Pro will support Wi-Fi 6E for faster wireless speeds, according to a leaked chart.
- RAM increase: iPhone 15 Pro models will be equipped with an increased 8GB of RAM, according to Taiwanese research firm TrendForce, while the standard models will likely continue to get 6GB of RAM as currently. Additional RAM can allow apps like Safari to keep more active content in the background, preventing the app from reloading content when you reopen it.
- start button: iPhone 15 Pro models are rumored to come with a customizable action button like the Apple Watch Ultra. The button will replace the Ring/Silent switch that has been included with every iPhone model since 2007. Users will likely be able to assign the button to various system functions, such as Ring/Silent, Do Not Disturb, Flashlight, Low Power Mode, and more.
- iPhone 15 Pro Max optical zoom increase: The iPhone 15 Pro Max will have a telephoto lens, according to Kuo. This could result in the device getting a 5x-6x optical zoom, compared to 3x on the iPhone 14 Pro models.
- Ultra broadband improvements: iPhone 15 models will likely have an upgraded Ultra Wideband chip (currently called the U1 chip) to improve integration with Apple’s upcoming Vision Pro headset, according to Kuo. The new chip could also provide improved performance or lower power consumption for location-based functions such as AirDrop and Precision Finding in the Find My app.
- LiDAR Scanner Improvements: iPhone 15 Pro models will feature a more energy-efficient LiDAR scanner provided by Sony, which can improve 3D deep scanning performance for augmented reality apps and night mode photos, according to Kuo.
- Dark red color option: A new dark red color option will be available for iPhone 15 Pro models, according to the 9to5Mac.
- Extend eSIM only: iPhone 15 Pro models can only be compatible with eSIMs in France, according to Apple McGeneration. Apple first removed the physical SIM tray from iPhone 14 models in the US last year.
With nearly three months to go until the iPhone 15 lineup is revealed, additional features could be rumored, so stay tuned for our report on the iPhone 15 Pro.
iPhone 14 vs. iPhone 15: 15+ upgrades and changes to expect
Apple’s iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus are expected to be announced in just a matter of weeks, with more than a dozen upgrades and changes beyond the iPhone 14 models introduced last year. After more than a year of rumors about upcoming devices, we’ve rounded up all the major differences that next-generation standard iPhone models are expected to feature based on information from trusted sources.
Here are all the iPhone 15 colors we’ve come to expect from Apple
Apple will unveil the new iPhone 15 lineup in a host of new colors at a special event likely to take place on September 12th. Here are all the colors we can expect to see for the four models: iPhone 15, iPhone 15 Plus, iPhone 15 Pro, and iPhone 15 Pro Max. iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus In the past few years, iPhone lineups have been launched in just five color options, followed by the sixth color…
The iPhone 15 Pro will come in blue and titanium gray, and gold is not expected
The iPhone 15 Pro models are expected to feature a titanium frame instead of a stainless steel frame for the first time, and with the exchange of materials, Apple is also focusing on new colors. Subscribe to the MacRumors YouTube channel for more videos. Back in July, we teamed up with Unknownz21 to unveil a new dark blue shade that Apple plans to use on the iPhone 15 Pro, and at that time, we were also…
iPhone 14 Pro vs. iPhone 15 Pro: Over 20 Upgrades and Changes to Expect
Apple’s iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max are expected to be announced in less than a month, offering more than 20 upgrades and changes to surpass the iPhone 14 Pro models introduced last year. After more than a year of rumors about upcoming devices, we’ve rounded up all the key differences that the next-generation iPhone “Pro” models are expected to feature based on information from trusted sources.
Top stories: iPhone 15 rumors, iOS 17 Beta 7, and more
Apple rumors are still buzzing, as reports about the iPhone 15 lineup keep flying in with only a few weeks left until Apple officially introduces the new models. Apple is also finishing work on iOS 17 to release it to the public around the same time. While the iPhone reliably gets annual updates, this week we also took a look at a number of other Apple products that are…