Good morning. You are reading the Up First newsletter. Participate Here to have it delivered to your inbox, and He listens Head over to the Up First podcast for all the news you need to start your day.
The most important news of the day
He faced eight Republican presidential candidates In the first debate of the 2024 race yesterday in Milwaukee.
- One of the major divisions was over the issue of abortion. on up first This morning, NPR’s Sarah McCammon said some candidates, including former Vice President Mike Pence, have supported the federal ban. Former UN ambassador Nikki Haley – the only woman in the race – called for more caution.
- The candidates also had extensive exchanges on the issue of Ukraine. Haley and Pence strongly supported continued funding to Ukraine. Vivek Ramaswamy said the United States needs to stop spending money on Ukraine and focus on other things.
- Read the five key takeaways and delving into further analysis from the discussion.
Former President Donald Trump is expected to surrender voluntarily in the Fulton County Jail, Georgia today. He faces 13 criminal charges in Georgia related to efforts to overturn the result of the 2020 presidential election in the state. Several of the 18 defendants have already surrendered, including attorney Rudy Giuliani.
- Although Fulton County District Attorney Fanny Willis She said she wanted to start the trial well before the 2024 election, attorney Jeffrey Brickman said says Sam Greenglass of WABE “This is wishful thinking.”
- Trump’s bond requirement limits his use of social mediawhich means we won’t hear from him on X. The only thing likely to get social media attention: a photo of Trump, expected to be released later today.
Mercenary leader Yevgeny Prigozhin, who led a rebellion against the Russian army This year he was on board a plane that crashed north of Moscow on Wednesday, killing all 10 people on board, according to Russia’s Civil Aviation Agency.
- The flight path appears “A business jet is flying from Moscow to St. Petersburg and just over 30 minutes into the flight, the plane suddenly starts falling out of the sky.” NPR’s Charles Maines reports on up first. But there is no consensus on Prigozhin’s actual death. Prigozhin founded the Wagner Military Group This was crucial in supporting the Russian invasion of Ukraine. put it in have been deplored Her latest rebellion was a “stab in the back” which led to speculation about Prigozhin’s fate.
- Hear about his criminal past help him Building what some believe is the most dangerous mercenary group in the world, or Read more about how the uprising took place It affected Putin’s attitude to it.
Lahaina residents who lost their homes due to wildfires And they rely on the kindness of friends and family to help overcome them. One woman’s stepfather welcomed her and all of her husband’s extended family to his property – which numbered 87 people. “This is life in Hawaii,” says her husband, Travis Cabanella Okano. “We grew up sleeping at our cousin’s house. We grew up sleeping with 20 of us in one little room… Allowing us and our kids to be together in this way brings me so much comfort.” See pictures of the Maui home Where Okano and his family They are coming together while planning their next steps.
enlighten me is a special series with Rachel Martin about the human condition.
Writer Vanessa Zoltan’s four grandparents survived the Holocaust. Because of the horrors they were subjected to, she grew up seeing her family adhere to Jewish customs without truly believing in God. This influenced her approach to spirituality:. “I think God’s absence can be really beautiful,” she says. “It means it’s our responsibility to take care of each other on this earth.” Listen to Zoltan and Martin Discuss how her spiritual outlook is directs its practice as a chaplain, or read the interview here.
3 things you should know before you go
- Octopuses are generally antisocial animals. but The researchers found More than 6,000 of them have gathered off the California coast to gather around a dormant underwater volcano
- India became the first country to land a spacecraft near The south pole of the moon yesterday. Speaking of space, here’s what the chefs at NASA had to say They cook To prepare astronauts for flight.
- Child influencers whose parents feature them in online content They often grow up to realize that their privacy has been violated. The new Illinois law wants that Give them their due.
This post has been edited by Majd Al-Wahidi.