German Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock warned on Saturday that the Israeli attack on the southern Gaza Strip would lead to more civilian deaths, calling for a comprehensive ceasefire.
The minister's appeal comes as the Israeli Defense Forces launch raids on the city of Rafah, near the Egyptian border, where many Palestinians have fled since fighting broke out between Israel and Hamas in October. The Israeli army had earlier urged civilians to evacuate from the northern part of the enclave and move south.
In a post on X (formerly Twitter), Baerbock said so “1.3 million people are looking for protection from combat in a very small space.”
He added, “Any attack launched by the Israeli army on Rafah will be a humanitarian disaster in the making.” Burbock Books. “Israel must defend itself against Hamas terrorism, but at the same time it must alleviate the suffering of the civilian population as much as possible.”
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office announced on Friday that the declared goal of… “Eliminate Hamas” This cannot be achieved without neutralizing the remaining militants in Rafah. The Prime Minister commissioned the Israeli army to formulate a plan “To evacuate and destroy the population [Hamas] “Brigades.”
Israeli army raids on Saturday morning killed at least 44 people in Rafah, according to local authorities run by Hamas. The attack led to renewed calls from abroad to end the violence.
Dutch Foreign Minister Hanke Bruins Sloat called for the looming ground offensive “Unjustified” Due to Rafah being overcrowded with refugees.
British Foreign Secretary David Cameron said on Saturday “More than half of Gaza’s population is seeking refuge in the area.” calls for “immediate pause” In the fighting and the release of the remaining hostages held by Hamas.
Israel declared war on the militants after Hamas and its allied groups attacked Israeli cities on October 7, killing about 1,200 people and taking more than 200 hostage. Dozens of prisoners were later released as part of a prisoner exchange during a week-long ceasefire in November.
More than 28,000 Palestinians have been killed since October 7, according to Gaza officials.