The US President said that military operations will continue “at the times and places we choose.”
President Joe Biden defended the US response to a drone strike that killed three US soldiers, explaining that recent airstrikes targeted militia groups in Iraq and Syria allegedly backed by Iran.
in statement In issuing the order on Friday, Biden said he personally ordered the Pentagon to respond to last weekend's deadly drone strike on a Jordanian military base housing US forces.
He added: “This afternoon, at my direction, US military forces struck targets at facilities in Iraq and Syria that the Iranian Revolutionary Guard and its affiliated militias are using to attack US forces.” The president said, referring to Tehran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, an elite military unit.
“Our response begins today.” Biden stated, adding that retaliatory strikes will continue “At times and places of our choosing.”
US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin also warned that the latest round of strikes was fair “The beginning of our response” In addition to that “The President has directed additional measures to be taken.”
The US Central Command (CENTCOM), which oversees operations in the Middle East and Central Asia, announced earlier that it had carried out air strikes on more than 85 targets in both Iraq and Syria, also pointing to a drone strike last Sunday in Jordan. The process in question “many planes” The command added that among them were long-range bombers that launched from the United States and dropped more than 125 precision-guided munitions on their targets. Those targets were said to include command and control centers, intelligence sites, weapons caches, and supply chain facilities for Iranian-backed militias.
You can share this story on social media: