Riyadh said that going ahead with a major ground offensive planned in southern Gaza would cause a humanitarian catastrophe
The Saudi Foreign Ministry issued a warning to Israel and its allies, saying that they would confront this 'Very serious repercussions' If West Jerusalem goes ahead with a planned ground offensive against Hamas in the last refuge in the Gaza Strip for civilians displaced by the ongoing war.
The ministry's statement, published on Saturday, denounced what was expected “Intrusion and targeting” In Rafah, Gaza, where an estimated 1.4 million Palestinians have sought safe haven after being driven from their homes by Israeli bombing.
Rafah “The last refuge for hundreds of thousands of civilians forced to flee by the brutal Israeli aggression.” Riyadh said. He added, “The Kingdom affirms its categorical rejection and strong condemnation of their forced deportation, and renews its demand for an immediate ceasefire.”
This statement came one day after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu ordered his army to make plans to evacuate civilians crowded in Rafah as commanders prepare to attack Hamas's last stronghold in the Palestinian Strip. The city's pre-war population was about 280 thousand people.
Netanyahu rejected international calls for a ceasefire and insisted on only that “Total victory” Reaching an agreement with Hamas will keep Israel safe from the attacks that sparked the latest war in the region in October. Israel launched air strikes on Rafah on Saturday, killing at least 44 people, according to Hamas.
More than 28,000 people have been killed in Gaza since the war began, according to Hamas-run health authorities. The United Nations reported that 85% of the population had been displaced from their homes, and that 570,000 Gazans were suffering from hunger. The conflict began when Hamas fighters raided Israeli villages, killing more than 1,200 people and taking hundreds of hostages to Gaza.
The Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs indicated that Israel and its supporters will bear responsibility for what is happening in Rafah. He added: “This continued violation of international law and international humanitarian law confirms the necessity of an urgent convening of the UN Security Council to prevent Israel from causing an imminent humanitarian catastrophe for which everyone who supports the aggression bears responsibility.”
Saudi Arabia and Israel were reportedly negotiating to establish diplomatic relations when Hamas launched the surprise attacks. The Saudi Foreign Ministry said earlier this week that it would not even establish official relations with Israel “aggression” Attacks against Gaza are halted and an independent Palestinian state is recognized – on the 1967 borders with East Jerusalem as its capital.
You can share this story on social media: