It’s no secret: laundry isn’t the most enjoyable task. It’s not always fun, but it’s a necessary chore. And once you’ve done that, having a clean-smelling set of clothes, towels, and sheets can be very nice.
To help make your laundry more efficient and effective, we spoke with experts about the types of products that are most helpful and rounded up Amazon’s best-selling laundry items.
Step forward Our top picks | How We Picked the Best Selling Laundry Products on Amazon | Best Selling Laundry Detergent on Amazon | Best Selling Stain Removers on Amazon | Best Selling Laundry Accessories on Amazon | How to make laundry more fun
Our top picks
How We Picked the Best Selling Laundry Products on Amazon
We have selected the laundry items below based on their high ratings. In addition to the ratings, we relied on expert guidance to determine which types of items are most useful when doing the laundry. Here’s what they said.
- detergent type: Pods, liquid and powder are the three most popular types of laundry detergents on the market. Experts shared that many people are drawn to the pods because of the convenience – you can just grab them and toss them in the washing machine. “However, I prefer liquid or powder,” says Becky Rabinchuk., author Simple organization and founder Mama is clean, a site that provides tips for cleaning the house. “These formulas allow you to adjust the amount you use based on what you might be washing.” Our experts agree it really comes down to personal preference, so we’ve included all the types for you to choose from.
- Stain removal ingredients: Both laundry detergents and stain removers can be helpful in removing dirt and stains from dirty laundry. “Look for products that contain enzymes,” says Rabinchuk. These items loosen dirt, which helps it come off your stuff. It also helps remove odor. All of the cleaners and stain removers listed below contain enzymes.
- Useful accessories: Besides detergents and stain removers, there are a number of laundry accessories that can help make the process of cleaning your clothes a lot smoother. If you need to wash lingerie or other delicate items, placing them in a mesh laundry bag can help prevent them from getting battered in the washing machine, says Patrick Richardson, PhD, author of The love of washing. In this regard, some items require air drying, so our experts recommend having a drying rack on hand. If you’re putting items in the dryer, consider using wool dryer balls on top of dryer sheets—they’re environmentally friendly, free of harsh chemicals and do a great job of softening your items, says Rabinchuk. We’ve included highly rated mesh laundry bags, drying racks, and wool dryer balls below.
Best Selling Laundry Detergent on Amazon
When it comes to laundry detergents, pods, liquid formulations, and powders are all widely available. Experts say it’s up to personal preference, but Rapinchuk points out that the latter two give you the advantage of customizing exactly how much you use.
A bestseller on Amazon, this laundry option combines concentrated detergent, stain remover, and color protectant in one compact package. These pods, which have an average of 4.8 stars from more than 132,000 reviews on Amazon, leave clothes smelling floral, according to the brand. To use, place one or two capsules in the washer drum before adding clothes. After that, just turn on the device as you normally would.
This liquid cleanser from Gain has an average of 4.7 stars from over 94,000 reviews on Amazon. The formula contains enzymes that help Rabinchuk notes remove dirt and odors. The cap on the bottle doubles as a measuring cup, with markings telling you where to pour a small, medium or large load.
The best-selling laundry detergent powder on Amazon has an average of 4.6 stars from over 13,000 reviews. The powder is free of synthetic fragrances, which Rabinchuk says she prefers for those with sensitive skin. The powder is made with earth-derived ingredients, and one sachet is enough for up to 120 loads of laundry, according to the brand.
Best Selling Stain Removers on Amazon
Laundry detergent will help remove regular dirt and grime, but if you spill something like coffee or ink and come into contact with the stain, you’ll need to use a stain remover.
This spray stain remover has an average of 4.4 stars from over 43,000 reviews on Amazon. The formula contains citric acid and glycerin to remove stains and is non-toxic, making it a great choice for children’s clothing, according to the brand. To use it, spray it on the stain, blot it up with a cloth or towel, and then launder it (either by hand or in the washing machine).
OxyClean is made with a substance called oxygen bleach, which is a stain remover that Richardson says he prefers over chlorine bleach. Oxygen bleach removes dirt and stains without whitening the items. To use this product, which has an average rating of 4.7 stars from over 25,100 reviews on Amazon, you’ll soak the stained items in a mixture of one scoop per gallon of water for up to six hours before placing them in the washing machine to clean. they.
Tide to Go stain remover pens have an average of 4.7 stars from over 35,800 reviews. It is designed for use on the go and fits nicely in a bag or even in your pocket. You can use it on coffee, stains, wine spills, and more, according to Tide. To use this product, remove the liquid from the stain, then place the pen over the stain to saturate it with the cleaner. Leave it for a few minutes before wiping off the stain remover.
Best Selling Laundry Accessories on Amazon
In addition to detergents and stain removers, experts agree that there are a few tools that can make the laundry process smoother.
A best-selling dryer ball on Amazon, these fleece balls are meant to replace dryer sheets to leave clothes feeling softer and reduce static cling. Rapinchuk also loves dryer balls because they’re more environmentally friendly than dryer sheets, which you throw away after one use. Just toss these balls in the dryer with your wet clothes and get to work. It can also speed up drying times because it lifts and separates items as they bounce, allowing hot air to circulate better, according to Handy. You can purchase these wool dryer balls in a bundle of four, six or 12. There’s no rule on how many balls to use at one time, but a general guideline is that the more laundry, the more you should toss in the dryer, and each ball is good for over 1,000 uses, according to the brand. These wool dryer balls have an average of 4.6 stars from over 71,00 reviews on Amazon.
“I consider mesh laundry bags a must for washing socks, sweaters, and anything delicate like underwear or accessories,” Richardson says, and notes that putting these items in the laundry bag helps keep them from getting stuck to other things. This set, which has an average of 4.7 stars from over 24,500 reviews on Amazon, comes with three zip-mesh bags that each measure 12″ x 16″. That means the bags can fit things like bras, jackets, and even sneakers, according to the brand.
When washing your clothes, you should always follow the care instructions on the tags. Some items may require air drying. In such cases, a drying rack can help. It unfolds and allows you to hang your clothes on it so air can circulate around the items to fully dry them. This is the best-selling laundry rack on Amazon and has an average of 4.7 stars from over 57,000 reviews. It can support up to 32 pounds of clothing and has eleven straps for you to drape items on top of.
Expert advice on making laundry feel like less of a chore
While doing laundry may never top your list of fun things to do, it doesn’t have to be completely painful. To make it go a little smoother, experts suggest the following tips:
- Prepare your supplies: “Everything becomes easier when you’re ready — even the laundry,” says Richardson, who adds that having laundry supplies on hand can make the process run more smoothly. Keep your detergent and stain remover next to the washing machine. This way, you can easily add your own soap, and if you notice a stain while putting something in the washer, you can reach for the stain remover and take care of it right away.
- Do this often: Avoiding tasks you don’t like makes sense, but you don’t always have to do it. If you let the laundry pile up, it will become cumbersome and take longer. Rabinchuk suggests doing your laundry as soon as you have enough for a full load — even if that means daily. Doing it in smaller portions, she says, makes it more manageable.
- Mix it all together: “Give everyone in the family a basket,” says Rabinchuk. Have them throw all their dirty clothes in there. Then, when the basket is full, toss it all in the washing machine and use cold water, she says. The cold will prevent things from bleeding through and allow you to do one big load instead of separate loads of white and bright clothes. The only exception to this rule: if you want to bleach your whites or if you have new dark jeans or vibrant clothes that may bleed the first few times you wash them.
Get to know our experts
At Select, we work with experts who bring expert knowledge and authority based on relevant training and/or experience. We also take steps to ensure that all expert advice and recommendations are provided independently and without undisclosed financial conflicts of interest.
- Becky Rabinchuk is an author Simple organization and founder Mama is cleana site that provides tips for cleaning the house.
- Patrick Richardson He is the host of HGTV’s “The Laundry Guy” and author of a book The love of washing.
Why choose trust?
Bethany Hitman is a contributor to NBC Select and a journalist who regularly covers topics such as beauty, home, and lifestyle. In this story, she interviews two experts to gather their advice on what to look for when shopping for laundry.